Department: Community Services Department, Animal Services Agency Division
Designated Work Location: 1057 Logan Avenue, Animal Services Agency
Position Type: Permanent, Full-time
Salary: $1,701.85 to $2,070.26 biweekly as per the Registered Veterinary Technologist classification
Posting No: 123873
Closing Date: November 7th, 2023
Providing a wide range of services to over half of all Manitobans, The City of Winnipeg is one of the largest employers in Manitoba. We provide a comprehensive range of benefits and career opportunities to our employees. These include competitive salaries, employer-paid benefits, dental and vision care, pension plans, and maternity/parental leave programs. Additionally, we offer education, training, and staff development opportunities to ensure that our employees are equipped with the necessary skills to advance in their careers.
Our Benefits web page provides detailed information about the benefits we offer, and we encourage you to visit it for further information at City of Winnipeg Benefits. We take pride in fostering a respectful, diverse, safe, and healthy workplace where our employees can thrive and achieve their full potential.
The City is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse skilled workforce that is representative and reflective of the community we serve. Applications are encouraged from equity groups that have been and continue to be underrepresented at the City; Indigenous Peoples, Women, Racialized Peoples, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQQIA+ Peoples and Newcomers are encouraged to self-declare.
Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.
Preference to internal applicants may be applied.
The Registered Veterinary Technologist (RVT) is the foundation of our animal health program and is responsible for the medical and general care of all shelter animals. Working under general supervision, the RVT performs diagnostics, physical exams, calculation and administration of various medications and treatments, and assists Veterinarians as required. The position is involved in providing enrichment activities for shelter animals and provides administrative support to Animal Services Officers related to Responsible Pet Ownership (RPO) By-law.
As the Registered Veterinary Technologist you will:
• Perform Laboratory/Diagnostics, Medical Support, Medication and Examinations
• Communicate with Internal and External Customers
• Conduct Animal Behaviour Assessments and Handling
• Carry out Animal Husbandry, Facility Maintenance and Medical Inventory Management
• Assist Animal Service Officers and Management with Responsible Pet Ownership Violations
Your education and qualifications include:
1. Must be a Registered Veterinary Technologist with membership in good standing with the MVMA and MVTA or ability to obtain and maintain MVMA certification for out-of-province certification.
2. The following education/training should be completed after hire:
• Fear Free Veterinary Professional status held or attained (approximately 30+ hours)
3. Experience working in a veterinary clinic (minimum of 1 year preferred)
4. Experience working in a boarding facility or commercial animal facility (laboratory, kennel, zoo) preferred
5. Experience training animals with positive reinforcement preferred
6. Experience in handling techniques for aggressive and fearful dogs, including physical and pharmacological restraints
7. Experience using Fear Free techniques
8. Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision
9. Ability to provide leadership and guidance to kennel team members
10. Strong time management skills with the ability to organize daily activities
11. Ability to safely and effectively restrain various animal species
12. Advanced skills in reading dog body language and recognizing psychological distress
13. Strong customer service skills, including professional phone and email etiquette as well as the ability to maintain composure in difficult situations
14. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
15. Ability to use computer applications and software, including MS Office.
16. Knowledge of Chameleon software or 311 software is preferred.
17. Ability to work in a physically demanding and high-paced environment.
*IMPORTANT: Applicants who have been educated outside of Canada must have education which is comparable to the minimum qualification in Canada. Applicants submitting foreign credentials require an official academic assessment report issued by a recognized Canadian assessment service https://www.canalliance.org/en/ at application.
Conditions of employment:
• The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
• Prior to commencement of employment, the successful applicant will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination by providing a Government of Manitoba issued QR code and photo identification.
• Ability to obtain certification as a Registered Veterinary Technologist with the MVMA within three months of hire to the position for out-of-province certification.
• A Police Information Check (Vulnerable Sector) Satisfactory to the employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense. To obtain a Police Information Check please visit www.winnipeg.ca/police.
• Must be physically able to perform all duties of the position including, but not limited to: heavy lifting (50-100lbs), pushing/pulling, holding and/or restraining dogs of various sizes, walking and standing for 5+ hours per day.
• A Physical Fitness Assessment certificate through the University of Manitoba will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense.
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
Current resume AND/OR Application Form (Required).
Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.
*Your application documents must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications of the position.*
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ’s or contact 311.
Hours of Work: Shift work including weekends and evenings
Employee Group: C.U.P.E.
Position Reports To: Operations Coordinator
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Position Closing Date: 11/07/2023